More than 170 St. Joseph’s College alumni donated approximately $19,000 to an initiative where they had the chance to submit quotes to be added as bookplates to books in SJC Long Island’s Callahan Library or SJC Brooklyn’s McEntegart Library.
“With their gift, they were invited to write words of advice, or a memory, for students,” said Kelly Cortes, manager of alumni giving in the Office of Institutional Advancement, who came up with the idea for the initiative. “Alumni had the choice of giving to SJC Long Island Unrestricted, SJC Brooklyn Unrestricted, Long Island Library, Brooklyn Library, Student Emergency Fund or Scholarships.”
An idea that allows alumni the chance to share their own words of wisdom with the very students they’re helping support, the initiative received an award from the Annual Giving Network (AGN) for participating in the 2020 AGN Challenge.
“Our entry was selected as one of the winners from a pool of hundreds of other great ideas and samples,” Cortes said. “In the coming months, they’re planning to feature our excellent work in some of their publications.”
Words of Wisdom
Here are some of the many quotes submitted by St. Joseph’s College alumni:
- “Go confidently in the direction of your dreams.” –Henry David Thoreau
- “Remember that with God as your partner, failure is impossible. Reach for the stars.”
- “St. Joseph’s has taught me to care, share and dare me to always do the right thing.”
- “Attending St. Joseph’s College is a gift that has sustained me for my whole life. I was blessed.”
- “Have a worthwhile goal. Work towards it undaunted, with prayer, faith and diligence.”
- “Esse Non Videri is the template by which I’ve lived my life. Thank you St. Joseph’s College.”