St. Joseph’s College is set to host the next national gathering for the Association of Colleges of Sisters of St. Joseph (ACSSJ) in the summer of 2023 at SJC Brooklyn.
“It is a great honor for St. Joseph’s to be sponsoring the ACSSJ for their national gathering,” said SJC President Donald R. Boomgaarden, Ph.D., who began serving as the board chair of the ACSSJ in February 2021.
“Working as the chair of this organization has been one of the great experiences of my life, and I know that the energy generated at this event will be a transformative, joyful, and mission-centered experience for all who participate,” added Dr. Boomgaarden.
1. Avila University in Kansas City, Missouri
2. Chestnut Hill College in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
3. College of our Lady of the Elms in Chicopee, Massachusetts
4. Fontbonne University in St. Louis, Missouri
5. Mount Saint Mary’s University in Los Angeles, California
6. Regis College in Weston, Massachusetts
7. St. Catherine University in St. Paul and Minneapolis, Minnesota
8. St. Joseph’s College in Brooklyn and Patchogue, New York*
9. The College of Saint Rose in Albany, New York
“The main purpose is to bring colleagues from across the ACSSJ member institutions together to deepen their knowledge about the charism and to provide opportunities for deeper relationships and collaboration,” Martha Malinski, executive director of the ACSSJ. “I’m most excited for the opportunity to convene with colleagues to deepen our knowledge and commitment about the charism of the Sisters of St. Joseph.”
Last year’s event saw the participation of several key members of the SJC community, including Jessica McAleer Decatur, vice president for marketing and communications; and Amy Poland, Ph.D., associate dean and director of online learning and professor of Criminal Justice; both of whom were facilitators for breakout groups.
Attendees of the gathering also received free electronic copies of the ACSSJ’s book “That All May Be One,” of which S. Suzanne Franck, C.S.J., Ph.D., associate professor of religious studies, was a key contributor.
After the success of last year’s virtual gathering, the ACSSJ hopes to offer a hybrid model for the 2023 event. More details, such as speakers and the event’s theme, become available this fall.
*St. Joseph’s College also offers an online campus, SJC Online.